Gassert week 2

Chapter 1: This first chapter highlighted the various ways in which GIS is used, as well as the different types that are utilized. This chapter also shows how patterns are used to map out the geography of a space and how different data sets can be shown on one map. This book so far does a decent job at giving visuals to help the reader better understand what exactly GIS maps are and the types of information the maps convey. This chapter details the specific terms of GIS features, those being discrete GIS data, continuous phenomena, and area summarization. Each of these components have the potential to be used at once to map out specific areas. The ability to keep record of several key companies with GIS can help researchers monitor environmental changes in a variety of ways. 

These maps help scientists map out large areas with coordinates. Measuring a large area can be difficult, so using GIS coordinates can help solve part of that problem. I was not previously familiar with the terms “vector and raster” before, but this first chapter helped me understand what these two words are and what they mean in the context of GIS data (vector being exact geographical points and lines and raster being a mix of “cells” that represent certain information). 

Chapter 2: The second chapter builds off the first and goes into detail about how the maps function and how they work. It outlines how to set up the maps and how to appropriately apply collected data to said maps. It shows the difference between smaller maps as opposed to larger ones, as well as what can be used to mark points of interest. One thing I found interesting about this chapter is the fact it suggests that no more than 7 data sets should be represented on the map. I can understand why they suggest this, but after doing some research on GIS maps, I feel like I’ve seen maps with a lot more than 7 points on them. I’m sure they suggest the smaller number to make the map easier to understand for those that are new to GIS, but once you learn how to use them and how to read them, using a few more data categories isn’t too big of an issue. 

Chapter 3: This chapter seems to me like it’s testing your knowledge of the first two chapters. The first two chapters served as a tutorial of sorts to introduce you to what GIS is, what it’s used for, and how to read it. This chapter poses questions to the reader to take you through the processes of creating your own GIS map. This section also makes the reader think about what data they’re putting on their map and what matters more. The types of data that’s available on the maps make it easier to compare and contrast different regions about what that area may lack compared to another. 

This chapter goes into more detail about how to color code categories and classes of information on a map. These colors can be used to differentiate waterways from roads as well as show man made landmarks vs. natural landmarks. Contour lines can also be used to show elevation and pressure changes within a given area.