Nagel Final Week

(Disclaimer: I still cannot get instant apps or any apps to work no matter what I try, it just ends up loading forever and ever on repeat. Waited three hours and gave up, so I just decided to redo everything in map and scene views. I can’t access any of the other apps or surveys from other classmates either, all of them either don’t load or say I don’t have permission access. I’ve been at this for hours and I yield. Dr. Krygier, you’re more than welcome to dock points for these not being true apps but at this point I’m at my wits end with this tech and its not worth the literal headache this is giving me. Hopefully this is still sufficient and gets my ideas across)

>>(‘Apps’ are linked in text)<<

App 1: 2D/3D Map

My main problem for selecting an idea from Chapters 1-4 is that this data just… wasn’t available or didn’t exist. For example, using a data layer which showed algal bloom or pollution predictive data in a certain area such as Alum Creek Lake. Said datasets did not exist. So I had to look at the web experience… and most of the data I wanted didn’t exist there either, so I had to improvise and go back to the introduction for an idea. Instead, I would try making a 2D/3D view of air traffic across the continental US… that dataset does exist but I don’t have access to it and need to install some kind of different program for ArcGIS Online to get it which I’m not doing. I could’ve done boat traffic but that data didn’t work, and there’s no way to convert a web scene into a web map so I was kinda screwed. So I had to stray from the path even more, finding two data sets which… sort of work together? Not sure what practicality it has for an ENVS setting or anything but it is in my interests. I managed to find a layer showing aircraft disasters in the 21st century and given recent events with Boeing, I thought it was fitting. Those kinds of things are also something I’m highly interested in, so this was really more for me than any of you… so sorry to disappoint on that front… assuming classmates are even reading this. I also couldn’t get the two maps to sync and transition between each other so I just ended up with a 2D and 3D map side by side, the 2D map showing a view of global air travel routes (the description doesn’t say how recent but it does say it was updated in 2023 and there’s really not any other data sets to go with that. The 3D map is semi interactive, showing the locations of aviation disasters that have occurred since 2000, the aircraft type, fatality count, etc. Yah this one just… didn’t work out how I wanted. I mean if you’re morbidly curious about horrible disasters, this one is for you?

App 2: Live Data

So I originally wanted to make a 3D view of Cleveland and use a topographical map and label some of my favorite fishing spots around the area and the stuff I’ve caught… but there’s no 3D data for Cleveland AND you can’t add labels or popups in the scene viewer which was just infuriating so I had to scrap that idea (much to my disappointment. Would’ve been a fun going away gift… maybe… I doubt any of you are going to be doing any fishing in the Cleveland area anytime soon.) Anyways, I went back to the live/real time data and had some more luck. Granted, I wanted to do air traffic but I don’t have access to those layers/files for some reason so… yah. So I went with the next best thing. My recent hyperfixation has been ships, specifically ocean liners. Unfortunately those haven’t existed since the 60s so the only data you can receive is from cargo and cruise ships. There I was thinking I could make a live data ‘app’ of ship traffic on the Great Lakes. How completely and utterly wrong I was… because that dataset doesn’t exist either. I found one dataset for real time vessel positioning since that showed up when hovering over the Great Lakes, but all the vessels displayed are in the Ohio River or in Chicago. The dataset didn’t have much of a description other than ‘real time vessel positioning in the surrounding area’. There’s a second dataset which shows the real time position of various large ships in different oceans… Yah this was a disaster.