Hollinger Week 5

Chapter 6:

1. Problems:
    1. 6A #7: There was only one symbol (not separate ones for ingrowth, unknown, etc.) So, I could only do one type of symbology.
    2. 6A #9-13: I couldnā€™t make more than 1 type of tree because of the previous problem and there were no trees shown on the base map so I just used my one symbol and placed them randomly.
    3. 6B #15: There was no option to save to the Esripress folder like the book wanted me to. This didnā€™t end up affecting any later steps.
    4. 6C #1: The ArcGIS collector map is now called ArcGIS Fieldmaps.
    5. 6C #6: I couldnā€™t choose which type of tree again because of the first problem.
  2. Terms/Comments:
    1. It was interesting to see how all of the ArcGIS platforms could collaborate with each other. I honestly didnā€™t expect this to work considering some of the data connection issues I had last week.Ā 
    2. It was kind of frustrating that I couldnā€™t symbolize multiple types of trees. You would have to click on them and look at their popup box or pull up the attribute table to see what kind they were on my map. It made me realize how different colors and symbolizations could be useful though!Ā 
    3. I also thought the fact you could create a web layer on one platform and public it to view and use it on different platforms was really useful too. I think it increases the means for collaboration between individuals on different platforms for projects.Ā 
  3. My maps:

Ā  Ā 

Chapter 7:

1. Problems:
    1. 7B #14: I couldnā€™t find the locate pane anywhere. I donā€™t think it ended up affecting the final result.Ā 
    2. 7C #7: There was no mile option so I just used US Survey Miles instead
  2. Terms/Comments:
    1. Address locator: file that contains reference data and various geocoding rules and settings.Ā 
    2. Having the street layer and reference data already set in the program makes it really easy to assign addresses. I feel like it would be very hard to find addresses without it because you would probably have to go search for each one individually.
    3. I could see the application of this chapter to be used to see which houses might be worth more money because of their proximity to certain locations and attributes like the accessibility ones shown at the end of the chapter. I think this could also be used by individuals to find houses that have certain criteria they desire.Ā 
    4. Buffers: polygons that are created around a feature at specified distances (used around bike lanes and proposed bike lanes in this chapter ā€“ helped show the proximity to certain properties)
  3. My maps:

Chapter 8:

1. Problems:
    1. 8A #10: There was no output location box.Ā 
  2. Terms/Comments:
    1. Temporal data: data that has the same time attribute
    2. Kernel density: calculates the density of features in an area
    3. Hot spot analysis: shows significant areas (symbolized by red for large clusters and blue for small)
    4. Space-time cube: help visualize how the data is distributed over an area.Ā 
    5. Honestly, I thought everything was pretty straightforward until the space-time cube. I feel like the hot spot analysis showed the distribution over a geographical area and I didn’t really understand what the vertical portion represented. It also made the middle elements blocked and hard to see.Ā 
    6. I also thought the controls were kind of hard for viewing the cube personally. I would always go to a weird angle or too close or too far. It was hard to get the position you wanted for the view.
    7. The animation portion of the chapter helped me understand the time portion of the 3D hotspot layer. I also thought the option to ā€œstep throughā€ each month was useful for visualizing the change.Ā 
  3. My maps:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Chapter 9:

1. Problems:
    1. 9C #12: There was only a box for value and not a start and end value so I couldnā€™t fill out the table properly. I think I ended up just putting in start values and my map seemed to look the same as the book so I think it was okay.
  2. Terms/Comments:
    1. I liked this chapter. I think the difference between before and after clipping and seeing the shadows was really useful for understanding how a visual can change the way you see a feature.Ā 
    2. I also liked how red and green were used to visualize good places to plant. This showed how effective narrowing down your classes can be because when there were more colors before we changed them, it was harder to visualize these areas.
    3. Ā I also thought outlining the plots was useful in visualization too. I could see an application to farming in that maybe you mark off places with better soil or some other features to determine where to plant which crops.
    4. Hillshade: a layer that depicts shadows of an illumination source
    5. Azimuth: direction of the sun
    6. Altitude: the angle of the sun above the horizon
    7. Using the model builder also always helps me visualize how the steps Iā€™m doing go together to make a complete outcome vs. when I am just going through them step by step in the book directions.Ā 
  3. My images:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Chapter 10:

1. Problems:
    1. 10A #7: The ā€œMove Value Buttonā€ was actually called ā€œReorderā€Ā 
  2. Terms/Comments:
    1. Chapter 10 felt a lot longer than the other chapters, but I think it was because there were a lot of new elements, especially when making the layout toward the end.Ā 
    2. Symbol layer drawing: helps you override and change the default settings and order of the layers.Ā 
    3. Label class: used to specify details of how labels are positioned and symbolized.Ā 
    4. I kept getting confused between the Legend and Legend Item panes toward the end of the chapter. I felt like the book kept switching between the two without clarifying you have to get to them in different ways and they do different things.
    5. Scale bars: shows size and distances on a map
    6. Dynamic Text: can provide additional information about your map to viewers like Spatial References in this case.
  3. My image:

1 thought on “Hollinger Week 5”