Kelner Week 1

Hi I’m Hayden Kelner, I’m a sophomore majoring in Zoology and Environmental Science. I took the 291 module at the beginning of the semester so I’m excited to continue learning about how to utilize GIS. While poking around in the training tab I found a tutorial on migrating data to help make field maps. I love field work compared to sitting in a building so making the transfer of that data a more seamless experience caught my eye. I then looked at the Community Forums and that excited me because one of my biggest struggles in 291 was finding things. With access to the forums it’ll make troubleshooting a lot easier. I also enjoyed scrolling through some posts and seeing how recent they were uploaded.

When looking at the ‘Get Started: What Is ArcGIS Online’ page, I found a section on floor-aware maps. It mentioned that there are certain datasets in the system that show no only the buildings on the map but also a map of the building’s floors. Along with that I found the tab on Scenes and while clicking through I noticed a section that talked about adding weather overlays onto the scenes so I am excited to see how that can be used later on.

While doing ‘Web Course: ArcGIS Online Basics’ I enjoyed making the map in Module 3 and getting to see how this program works in comparison to the desktop version we used in 291. I also enjoyed getting to see how to use scenes because the 3D aspects of online mapping has always been something I’ve thought was very cool.

For my research on Google Scholar I looked up “ArcOnline Migratory Birds” I found an article on migratory eagles in Northeastern North America. It’s pretty cool seeing their routes collected by GPS data and then seeing their routes mapped out. I also found an article on mapping the migration patterns on Wilson’s Snipe. I’ve always loved birds so getting to see their migratory patterns and routes that they follow is always interesting. It’s also cool to see where they fly over and how that relates with their food sources so we can help preserve these feeding areas so the birds can continue to successfully migrate in the future.

Links:

Mojica, Elizabeth K., Bryan D. Watts, and Courtney L. Turrin. “Utilization probability map for migrating Bald Eagles in northeastern North America: a tool for siting wind energy facilities and other flight hazards.” PLoS One 11.6 (2016): e0157807.

Cline, Brittany B., and Susan M. Haig. “Seasonal movement, residency, and migratory patterns of Wilson’s snipe (Gallinago delicata).” The Auk 128.3 (2011): 543-555.