Miller Week 3

Chapter 1: This chapter was quite a useful introduction into what the content of this class is actually about. Since I took GEOG 291 earlier in the semester, a lot of the information is quite familiar to me. However, I did learn new content, especially when working with GIS Online. When I started Chapter 1.1 it was actually quite a difficult start, since I barely used GIS Online in the previous course. However, I figured out that taking the steps slowly and trying not to rush through the steps helped things go by more smoothly and quickly. In 1.1, I learned how to publish data from a csv file, which was a neat way to introduce the chapter. 1.2 was a relatively easy section, which consisted of me adding a field and editing its own attribute values. 1.3 was a bit more complicated and a little more time consuming. This section had me create my own web map, which was overall a unique process. 1.4 was definitely the most challenging section out of all the sections. I was able to follow all the steps but some of the last few steps. Overall, I was able to publish on the app. An application idea for this chapter for me to create an attachment viewer that relates to historical buildings on campus. This would have captions on certain points on campus, along with the title of the building and the coordinates of the building.

Chapter 2: 2.1 started off by having me create a feature layer using geocoding. This was very similar to the 1.1 section, which made it a good review section. 2.2 had me configure the layer style, which showed population trends of the top 50 US cities. This was quite an easy and fun section to mess around with. 2.3 had me use code to create a new attribute layer. This section was quite difficult for me, but I was able to make things work. 2.4 was another easy chapter, where it had me add images and graphs to my layer pop-ups. 2.5 was working with storytelling, which a lot of it was reviewed from GEOG 291. I was not able to work the last step in this section however. 2.6 had me add finishing touches, and then had me finish off the story map by having me publish it. An application idea for this chapter would be for me to review a map of battles. Some data that I could put in would be comparing duration, significance, and death toll of battles in a particular war. I would create a story map that shows the locations of the battles as well as interesting data trends as well.