Geography 193: Geospatial Analysis with Python Spring Semester 2022: Module 2: 3/8/2023 – 4/2/2023 Instructor: John Krygier (email@example.com) of 206 SCSC Meetings: see course schedule Geography 193: Geospatial Analysis with Python familiarizes students with Python programming language for desktop (PC) and online GIS software. Overview of Python, its relationship to ArcGIS Pro software, and specific applications are covered. This Module course carries 0.5 credit.
- Understanding key concepts, functions, and operation of the Python programming language in the context of GIS software.
- Successful application of Python to different kinds of geographic data (raster, vector) and the creation of functional scripts within GIS software.
- Understand how desktop GIS could be used in applications specific to student’s academic interests
Text and tutorial material: Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro 1st Edition, Paul A. Zandbergen Preliminary Schedule of Topics (to cover over 7 weeks)
- Python fundamentals
- Setting up a Python editor
- Automating geoprocessing tasks using ArcPy
- Exploring and manipulating spatial and tabular data
- Working with geometries using cursors
- Working with rasters and map algebra
- Map scripting
- Debugging and error handling
- Application Areas