The Ohio Wesleyan University Music Department is pleased to announce the OWU High School Honor Band Festival & Band Director Boot Camp. Talented students and directors are invited to join nationally renowned conductors, clinicians, and musicians for an enriching itinerary of rehearsals, master classes, clinics, and concerts.
Membership in both honor bands is competitive and similar to fine All-State bands.
Students, directors, and parent chaperones will need to arrange for their own housing in Delaware area hotels. Central Ohio residents may opt to commute.
The fee for each student selected is $50 for all festival activities including an ice cream reception on Thursday evening, lunch and dinner on Friday, and a commemorative t-shirt.
Student festival activities include:
- Rehearsals with honor band conductors, Elizabeth Peterson or Ishbah Cox, and guest conductor, Rich Edwards
- Festival Host Concert on Thursday (7:30 PM, 2/13/20) with the OWU Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Hayes HS Wind Ensemble
- Ice cream reception after the host concert
- Instrumental masterclasses with applied music faculty
- Two meals provided (Friday lunch and dinner)
- Perform in the festival finale concert in historic Gray Chapel on Saturday (2:00 PM, 2/15/19)
- Commemorative t-shirt
The Band Director Boot Camp is a great opportunity to grow and develop as a music teacher under the guidance of our outstanding clinicians. Sessions focusing on rehearsal techniques and instrumental pedagogy provide for a fulfilling and energizing environment for music educators of all experience levels. The fee for all directors is $50, including an ice cream reception on Thursday evening, lunch and dinner on Friday, and a certificate for 1.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Band Director Boot Camp activities include:
- Clinic sessions featuring rehearsal techniques and instrumental pedagogy for every instrument of the wind ensemble
- Roundtable discussion-luncheon featuring festival conductors and OWU ensemble conductors
- CEU certificate letter for each participating band director’s school district Local Professional Development Committee
The application deadline for the HS Honor Band Festival & Band Director Boot Camp is Friday, December 20, 2020.