Grace McKenney (’27): Why English?

From my earliest moments, I have always known that I wanted to be an author. While other children my age may have spent their afternoons and weekends playing on swing sets or watching cartoons, I was always the kid who spent her spare time locked away in her room either with a stack of paper and a pencil, or on her family computer, writing what my young mind thought would surely be the next great American novel.Ā 

As a young woman whose college and writing career has really only just started, I can now think back on those old stories I wrote and laugh. Despite knowing that I wanted to be an author, I was unsure of why well into middle school. My parents, teachers and even other schoolmates, whether out of actual curiosity or judgment, asked me: ā€œWhat does authorship really mean to me? Why do I want to write? What do I hope to accomplish? How might my values shape this goal?ā€

Initially, I wanted to be an author because I deeply admired the art of storytelling and the process an author goes through while developing rich worlds and relatable characters. My parents are very much to thank for this, as their admiration for literature and the arts inspired mine. Growing up, we read the works of J.R.R Tolkien, C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling together in our living room. These stories mesmerized me: from the vivid descriptions of the misty mountains cold where Gollum and the ring lay to the sacrificial love Aslan made in making his world right, to learning that there is a terrible cost in choosing good over evil as Harry defeats Lord Voldemort. Each of these faith-based allegories found in the descriptions of war, wisdom, betrayal and forgiveness in the stories of good versus evil led to a realization. I recognized that storytelling was not only a source for an author to share their experiences, values and knowledge in a creative, memorable and relatable way. In a sense, the process and art of storytelling became a source of self-expression: an outlet in which I could discover myself and my values.Ā 

As I entered college, however, what authorship meant to me evolved. Though storytelling was and still is a form of self-expression, I have learned that it is also, and perhaps more profoundly, a tool which can unite and empower others. Thanks to Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling, I had not only found my love for a good story and inspiration to write, but also had discovered that good writing and the clever use of parables and analogies can describe beliefs and convictions without sounding overtly or obnoxiously virtuous.Ā 

Similarly, I had deeply enjoyed Dr. Longā€™s ā€œHow to Change Your Worldā€ freshman seminar. Many of the assignments which I would complete for this course looked into the lives of various Native American authors and artists. When these authors were asked why they wrote, they answered that they wished to share their beliefs and convictions in order to unite themselves and other native and non-native folks to their long-lost cultures and to be a voice for those who may experience social persecution. As I look back, I realized that I wanted to do this too. Perhaps sharing my values, beliefs and experiences may empower and unite others. Perhaps my writing could act as a voice for those whose values, beliefs and experiences go unheard.

My hope as I continue on my collegiate journey and start my career as a creative writer is that one day, we can live in a world where change is invoked by simply picking up a pen, telling a good story and encouraging healthy, thoughtful discussion.

28 Replies to “Grace McKenney (’27): Why English?”

1. Katie

So well-worded, this is truly a special story! Thanks for sharing, Grace, I greatly enjoyed reading this! So proud of you bestie šŸ™‚

Reply
  2. Jacob Kenerson

Fantastic article!!!
    Iā€™m glad to see it turned out so great after how long I saw how much effort you put into working on it over the past month!

Reply
  3. Peter Bohan

Iā€™m so proud of you. You work so hard and I hope all of it pays off. I believe you can do great things.

Reply
  4. Nazanin

Your passion for literature is amazing! I have a feeling that the works you’ll create will inspire others as they grow up! This is a great article, keep up the good work!

Reply
  5. Jordan

I love that you have your passion and your “why”, that’s going to take you far. This was a lovely read.

Reply
  6. Isabella Bird

I honestly relate to this. I still write books and I’m working on one now. Well three but mainly one. I was one of those warrior cat kids who spent recess roleplaying or in the library. Now I am trying to major in Marketing because creative fields don’t pay bills but if I had it my way I would become a creative writer. I’m glad you have the bravery I don’t have to follow your dreams.

Reply
  7. Magnet

Great read! Really emphasizes the powerful meanings stories can have, and the effect they can bring about in peopleā€™s lives. Wanting to use that power to bring about a positive effect is nothing short of admirable.

Reply
  8. Jacob Schneider

I can already tell this is gonna inspire a ton of people who are interested in pursuing creative writing as well šŸ™‚

Reply
  9. Sarah

Good job, very nice article, your writing sounds great. I could start to imagine what you wrote about sometimes. So far your writing sounds good.

Reply
  10. Niko Chhugani

Great article. Perfectly sums up what storytelling means to so many people, and the ways our relationship to it can evolve

Reply
  11. Char Cordell

it’s so well worded and you took such a long time and I’m so proud of you ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Reply
  12. Hnen

Very nice! I’m curious about your thoughts on the good vs evil trope now that you’ve experienced so many more books and worlds, as well as how you hope to incorporate YOUR ideas and beliefs into writing! Art is inherently biased, and using that bias for the greater good sounds like a wonderful idea to me ^-^

Reply
  13. Anushka Sharad

That was a wonderful read, Grace. It’s quite profound how you connected the dots and are on your way to discover what authorship means to you!

Reply