Scholars of Sturges: Jackson Christman ’18

A big part of going to a liberal arts school is having the opportunity to take classes in areas that we aren’t completely comfortable in. Senior psychology major Jackson Christman has found a a unexpected love for English saying, “Although I am a Psychology major, taking English classes here at OWU has provided me with invaluable experience. It has been fascinating to transfer psychological theories to literature, and I have been provided with many opportunities to do so. English is interesting in that it tends to be much more stable than other fields. While information I learn in Psychology classes may be obsolete in the next few years, the knowledge and skills gained from English classes remain relevant. Studying English has also given me many new ways to approach novel subjects, focusing on source analysis and close examination of language. Fulfilling all the course requirements of a liberal arts degree has been an “interesting” experience to say the least, but I can count my English courses among the most enjoyable.

For more mini profiles of the Scholars of Sturges, follow the OWU English Department (@owuenglishdepartment) on Instagram.