The Meaning of Art by Herbert Read

Recommended by Michael Barr

In one of Delaware’s antique stores I recently stumbled on a lived-in copy of Herbert Read’s “The Meaning of Art” that seemed worth my $1.25. Read, who was a Fine Arts scholar in the first half of the 20th century touches on various movements, elements, and figures in a way that isn’t daunting for those who, like myself, aren’t quite proficient in its language. He does so by disregarding the idea that a historical work should be purely factual, stepping in every so often with his own, now humorously dated but nonetheless incisive language that thinks about the Surrealists as those in pursuit of capturing how “a human being drifts through time like an iceberg.” His eloquent style makes abstraction approachable by highlighting how artistry reverberates far beyond its common conception, into a myriad of making or doing processes. Whenever I discover a link between various forms of the arts and humanities I’m struck with the realization of how little I know, though in this case, I am given a roadmap with greater detail, and a well-worn cover.