Ireland Update by Amadea Weber

Hi all! I know it’s been a while, but honestly, not much has happened that is especially noteworthy around here. Oh, of course there are the little events that happen in each day that are memorable but as far as reporting from abroad, not so much.

While I have been here I have discovered an incredible new love of Ohio Wesleyan’s school system, notably the fact that a class meets at the same time in the same place for whatever time slot and location it takes. Here I have to move classrooms (and times) for every class that doesn’t have it’s two hours smooshed together into one block. Won’t lie, this has led to many freak-outs over whether or not I am about to be late for a class. This usually happens for my Monday/Tuesday art history class which on Monday is at 4pm and on Tuesday is at 5pm. 3:45 rolls around on Tuesday and I panic and start getting ready in a hurry (luckily I have a bike here, so I can make it to school relatively quickly…I also miss that about OWU.) only to realize that I have another 45minutes until I need to leave.

Also, Cork did win the All-Ireland Gaelic Football (this has to be the most intense sport EVER! Think of rugby meets european football, yeah, that intense) Championship for the first time in 20 years! Molly O’Malley, our roommate Ali, and I were lucky to find out about the HUGE street celebration that the city held the following Monday. Probably a third of Cork’s population showed up. Ok, well, at least a couple of thousand people were there. It was utter chaos with music. The oddest thing we saw were people waving Confederate flags (because the team are the Rebels). As American students we weren’t quite sure how we felt about that.

I have discovered that the Irish have an odd love of things that are “Southern.” Not southern Ireland southern, but the American South southern. For goodness sake, there are frozen fries that proclaim to be “Southern style” in flavor. I don’t really know what they mean by that, but it’s confusing.

Adventures will continue later in the semester as I am going on a trip to Amsterdam with my Dutch art class, London in December with other friends, and Dublin with my Medieval Irish Art class to see the conservation department as well as do our presentations WHILE IN THE NATIONAL MUSEUM!!! That will be AWESOME! (Can you tell how excited I am?) And this weekend I am headed up to Killarney with some OWU girls. It’s going to be nice to get out of the city for a weekend, since I haven’t left since the Early Start program ended.

So Long Everyone!

Cheers!