The first year of the 2019 OWU SMC (July 8-12, 2019) was a day camp that brought 71 middle school musicians to the OWU campus to perform in two bands, a choir, and a string orchestra. 36 camp staff fulfilled a variety of leadership roles including conductors, counselors, private lesson faculty, and style class instructors.
Our week ended with a concert for each ensemble closing with an all-camp ensemble featuring a world premiere work written by OWU music composition major, Noah Green.
- “I would describe this place as a fun place where you can really sing out. I walked in with no friends and left with 11 more.”
- “Our director really knows her stuff! The camp staff were so nice and helped you with whatever you individually needed.”
- “Rehearsals are very productive. Sectionals were a big help and the little chill time is nice.”
- “Everyone was very nice and I liked meeting kids from other schools.”
- “My private lesson experience was great and I learned a lot of new skills that I transferred into orchestra.”
- “Hearing how (my child) connected to his fellow musicians was maybe the most meaningful part to me. I know he’ll go back to orchestra in the fall a stronger musician.”
- “Great group. (My child) felt comfortable with the staff. She has done a music camp before and she liked the relaxed feel of OWU’s camp that was not so strict, felt more friendly and fun.”
- “Great experience. I feel the thought that went into the organization of the camp went very well. The group sounded great at the concert and we loved the combined song.”
- “Very helpful. Felt like I could always ask questions and the staff was very knowledgeable.”
- “We’ll be back next year!”
- “I loved how encouraging and supportive everyone was and just willing to do whatever it took to make a great camp experience.”
- “I learned so much and wish the week could have been longer. I’m really looking forward to expanding the camp. So are a lot of the kids!!”
- “Overall, I had a great time at camp, and I learned a lot about music education. I also really appreciated the opportunity to gain experience teaching kids in sectionals.”
- “The camp concert was the best program I’ve ever seen in all my years at OWU!”